Sunday, December 2, 2007

Weekend In New York

I packed and checked out of Hilton as soon as I finished my work on Friday morning. I had some deadlines to be met and so I spent the morning closing out all that. The logistics for my meetings scheduled for the day was daunting. I had to get to Somers office for a meeting at 12 Noon and then the next meeting was at White Plains 2 PM. After that I had to travel to New York to Issac and Susan's home for the weekend. With no one one to drive me around and no taxi to hail I asked the hotel to organise transport for me. Initially they were only successful to arrange for a drop to Somers but later we got the whole thing worked out. Just after my meeting in Somers at 1 PM, I got a message that the meetings in White plains was called off. The meeting was to be held in Crown Plaza Hotel. As the Limo had already come and I was to be picked up from Crown plaza by Issac after my meetings, I decided to go there. A 60 minute drive took me to Crown Plaza, White Plains. I walked in with my luggage very confidently and made myself comfortable in one corner of the lobby. I spent the next 3 hours there working on my laptop and when the battery ran out I sat back and caught up with my reading. For about 20 minutes I had company, some of my colleagues who were camping in Crown Plaza came back from work to get ready for a evening in Manhattan.

About 7 PM I breathed a sigh relief as we drove into Issac and Susan's drive way. Susan was at home and she busied herself to get us Tea and snacks. Later we went out for dinner to a Indian restaurant. Saturday was at the Mall, my contribution to the US economy. The highlight of the day was our Lunch at a Thai restaurant. I was bent on having some spicy food and I was confident that Thai eating houses won't let me down. We found it in Issac's GPS and set directions to get there . It was a cute little restaurant tucked away in one of the New York suburbs. The decor was authentic and the food even more authentic. It was not only spicy but delicious as well . I loved it! Issac and Susan went to the international mart brought fish and tapioca (Yuca) and cooked me another delicious meal for dinner. I did not want Susan to spend her weekend in the kitchen and so I had told them that we will eat out . She did not listen and she ended up cooking many meals at home for me. God Bless her!

Sunday I woke up to see the first snow fall of the season! I stood by the window looking at the snow flakes coming down. Soon a blanket of white covered every thing and I rejoiced at the whole experience . Although the snow kept falling and the roads were slippery we went to Church. Issac and Susan attends a AG church. There are two services in the morning as they cannot accommodate all their members in one service. We choose the second service at 11 AM and got there just before the the first service got over. I didn't think that there would be any one at the service as it was too early and the weather was not commuter friendly but to my surprise it was full house. The 11 AM service was no different,it was packed, every seat in the 300 plus auditorium was taken! As we had arrived early I decided to attend the Adult Sunday School class. I learned a lot during the the 45 minute interactive session, the church service too was a blessed experience.

Lunch was at Charlie Brown, a stake house, I had fish and Chips. The salad bar helped me get some chillies to spice up my food. Lunch was followed by more shopping. The snow ploughs were out on the streets to clear the snow and driving became a little more easy. The snow was followed by a light drizzle sending the mercury down. Fortunately I was well clad to meet the biting cold. How much better it is when we are prepared !

No comments: